Mass Schedule - Marian Chapel
Sunday Mass schedule resumes, August 24, 10:30 a.m. & 7:30 p.m.
ASCENT Freshman Retreat
WHEN: Sept. 5-7
WHERE: Spruce Lake, Canadensis, PA
WHAT: ASCENT is an overnight experience designed especially for first-year students. This two night getaway gives students an opportunity to get off campus, meet other first-year students, explore their faith traditions, and reflect on their hopes and anxieties about their future at Marywood. Facilitated by upper class Marywood students, ASCENT is a fun and meaningful way to begin your college experience.
FEE: $30 - transportation will be provided. Financial Assistance is available.
CONTACT: Amanda Bielat, firstname.lastname@example.org or stop in Campus Ministry to sign up!
Community Service Fair
Monday, August 25, 12:00 - 4:00 p.m. - With the Student Ativities Fair - Nazareth Student Center
Find out about the opportunities to serve, volunteer and make a difference! Join the Volunteers in Action Club (VIA) to connect with students who love serving others!
Catholic Relief Services Ambassador Program
Do you want to join Marywood's Catholic Relief Services Ambassador Program for next year? Fill out the CRS Ambassador Application and return it to Sr. John Michele Southwick at Campus Ministry. Email Sister John Michele, email@example.com with any questions. Help feed the hungry, help those in crisis and help with developmental aid around the world.
MUSIC MINISTRY FOR OPENING LITURGY
Rehearsals for all who are interested in taking part in the music ministry for the September 3Opening Liturgy will take place in the Marian Chapel at the following times:
Sunday, August 24 - 6:30 to 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, August 31 - 6:30 to 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, September 2 - 8:30 to 9:30 p.m.
All are invited to attend, whether you've been a longtime member of Marywood's music ministry or would like to join for the first time. Can't make it to all three rehearsals? Just come as you are able! If you have any questions, please e-mail Mike Sowa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coordinator of Liturgical Music
Mike Sowa ('11) has recently begun serving as Coordinator of Liturgical Music. Mike earned his B.Mus. degree from Marywood in 2011. He has served as an organist in Catholic and Lutheran churches for more than ten years, and is currently Organist/Director of Music Ministry at Our Lady of the Eucharist Parish in Pittston. Mike also provides piano and organ instruction to youth and adults. He previously served as accompanist for the former Marywood Children's Choir and as dean of the Northeast PA Chapter of the American Guild of Organists.
If you have any questions about serving as a cantor, instrumentalist, or liturgical minister, please e-mail Mike at email@example.com or call 570-340-6024
Job Opening at Hickory Street Presbyterian Church
Hickory Street Presbyterian Church is seeking a part-time youth advisor to provide and lead meaningful Christian ministry to its youth in grades 6-12. Approximately 5-10 hours of planning, preparation, and active ministry is required/suggested per week.
Part-time Youth Leader Duties/Responsibilities:
- Implement weekly Christian programming for youths in grades 6-12 that is both meaningful and engaging. Meet with junior and senior high students on Sunday afternoons both on site and at other locations as approved by Session.
- Ensure timely and effective communication with church staff, Session, parents, youth, etc. via email, social media, Parish Page, etc.
- Report and communicate all activities to the Pastor and the Christian Education Committee Chairperson, as well as submit any material needs.
- Ensure that the Child Protection Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
Applicants must . . .
1. Have background/study and experience with adolescents.
2. Embrace Christian discipline and be familiar with Presbyterian doctrine and theology.
3. Demonstrate ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
4. Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
5. Be familiar and comfortable with social media as a means of communication.
6. Provide background clearances as included in HSPC’s Child Abuse Prevention Policy.
Please forward letter of interest and resume via email to Amy Sandrowicz, Christian Education Committee Chairperson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer Opportunity - United Cerebral Palsy of NE PA
United Cerebral Palsy of Northeastern Pennsylvania needs volunteers to staff its’ basket raffle fundraiser, held on the corner of Spruce and N. Washington Streets on Labor Day weekend. Volunteers are needed for two or four hour shifts from 11am to 7pm on Saturday and Sunday, August 30th and 31st, and from 11am to 6pm on Labor Day (Monday), September 1st. Responsibilities include selling basket raffle tickets, and monitoring approximately 55 baskets. If you are interested in participating, email to Barb Siarkievicz at: email@example.com. Include your name and contact information and the times you are available to help with this event.