Marywood College was founded in 1914 and chartered under the laws of the state of Pennsylvania in 1917 as a Catholic College for the higher education of women. It was the first Catholic college for women in the state.
The first college building, now known as the Administration Building, was completed in 1903 when the Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, occupied it as the motherhouse of the community, though the real foundations of their college work were laid in 1845 when the Sisterhood was first formed.
A little less than a century later the Sisters undertook the actual foundation of Marywood College which has been an ideal of the institute for previous decades.
The college strives for the excellence and enrichment of living that accrue to young womanhood through liberal education. Artistic appreciation is not the least of the abundant fruits of Catholic training. Galleries and exhibits, paintings, etchings, sculpture, music, literature, all the fine arts are are in their true home at Marywood, for it is a well known fact that Catholic culture is a gracious fostering mother of art.
Many treasures were transferred from the motherhouse when the Liberal Arts building, the first of the college group, was opened. Later the residence hall was similarly favored. The last beautiful gallery to be added was the newly adorned rotunda in the Arts Building, where the Lucas Museum, the library, the class rooms, the studios, the various departments, all contain a wealth of art.
Records Management & Archives | Learning Resources Center, Room 317