Chaogui Zhang, Ph.D.
Science Center, Room 320
Science Center, 3rd floor
High School Math Contest
The 2014 Marywood High School Math Contest, sponsored by the Math Club, SEMI-Group, was held on Saturday, March 29th from 10 to 11 a.m. in the Liberal Arts Center.
There are two versions of the exam for our annual contest:
- The Level I test is designed for 9th and 10th grade students.
- The Level II test is more appropriate for 11th and 12th graders.
- You can download the registration form and fill it out, then mail it to us by March 24, 2014;
- Or you can email the registration information (list of students and their grade level) to Marcia Gaughan (email@example.com).
- The registration fee of $4.00 per student can be sent in with your registration form by mail, or you can bring the check(s) to the contest on Saturday, March 29.
- Note that if you do not register by March 24, students may still attend the contest by registering onsite at $5.00 per person. Advance registration makes it easier for us to prepare and saves you money. Please send the registration in as soon as you can.
Time and Location
- The test starts at 10:00 and registrations begins at 9:15. Students should arrive by 9:30 to allow time for registration/room assignment.
- This annual event is held in the Liberal Arts Center (LAC) on the Marywood University campus. Click on "Campus Map/Tour" at the top of this page if you need direction. You may also email or call the math department with any questions or if you need any other assistance.
- The test ends at 11:00 and students may leave right after. The results will be announced the following week on this website and also by email to the teachers.
About the Test
- The test consists of 40 problems of gradually increasing difficulty.
- No problems involve calculus.
- Calculators are not allowed.
- A language dictionary may be used in special circumstances.
Prizes are awarded to students with the top three scores in each level. In case of ties, the corresponding prizes will be evenly split with a minimum of $10 per student.
The 1st place winner in the Level II contest also receives a $2,000 annual scholarship if he/she enrolls at Marywood within two years of the contest date. The 2nd place winner in the Level II contest receives a $1,000 annual scholarship, subject to the same conditions as the 1st place winner. Scholarships are renewable for up to four years, if the student makes satisfactory academic progress.
Students with the top 10 scores on the Level II exam are eligible to be members of this year's Northeast Pennsylvania ARML (American Regions Mathematics League) team, coached by Dr. Chaogui Zhang.