Eat Right Nutrition Tips
Eating right made easy
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
2015 Coordinated Program Class
Congratulations to our 2015 Coordinated Program class! on May 6th they took their last final exam, completing all of their CP requirements!
Phi Sigma Iota Induction
Austin Fernandez and Keira Logue were inducted into the Phi Sigma Iota honor society, an international foreign language honor society, at Marywood University. Austin is a junior in the Spanish emphasis DPD and Keira Logue a senior in the Spanish emphasis DPD.
PA Family and Consumer Sciences Conference
On May 1st students and Faculty attended the PA Family and Consumer Sciences Conference at the Inn at Pocono Manor. Pictured are Nutrition and Dietetics Assistant Professor Dr. Erin O'Hora, Family and Consumer Sciences student Kristen Dougherty, and Director of Family and Consumer Sciences Mrs. Sandi Graham. Mrs. Graham was the PAFCS Program Chair and Dr. O'Hora gave a talk on the updated Nutrition Facts Label.
Senior Honors Thesis
Ariel Muirhead presented her honors thesis at Marywood University's Honors Program 2015 senior reception on May 1st. Mrs Jessica Bodzio was her advisor. Ms. Amy Tomasko and Mrs. Alice Reyes were her committee members. Pictured are Ms. Tomasko, Ariel, and Mrs. Bodzio.
NEW Leadership Pennsylvania
Congratulations to Nutrition and Dietetics student, Maria Temples, for being accepted to the National Education for Women's (NEW) Leadership Pennsylvania institute this summer! Maria was a Team Leader on the Medical Mission Trip to Guatemala this year and she spoke as a Student Representative at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities Conference in Washington D.C. in February 2015.
Bhutanese Health Fair 2015
Students in the Nutrition and Dietetics Department participated in an interprofessional Health Fair for the Bhutanese community in South Scranton on April 18, 2015. Dessy Bubaris (pictured) is a junior CP student and functioned as the lead Nutrition and Dietetics student who coordinated the department’s involvement in this project.
Kidstuff Event 2015
Nutrition and Dietetics students volunteered at the Kidstuff event at Marywood University. There were 200 volunteers and more than 100 kids who attended from the United Neighborhood Centers and Friends of the Poor. Laura Niederer, freshman Nutrition and Dietetics student, created a poster and worksheets about the MyPlate using Mickey Mouse's shape. Pictured are Heather Kees, junior CP student, and Laura Niederer, freshman Nutrition and Dietetics student.
Food and Nutrition Magazine
Colleen Sideck, a current CP senior, was mentioned in the 'Join the Conversation' section of the March/April 2015 issue of Food and Nutrition Magazine. This section can be found at http://www.foodnutrimag-digital.com/foodnutrimag/march_april_2015/?pg=9&pm=1&u1=friend#pg9.
Marywood Nutrition Students take part in AHA's 'Go Red for Women Day' at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center - 2/2015
Marywood University dietetic interns Rose DeLuccia, right, and Rebecca Reed listen to questions while preparing BBQ-glazed chicken tenders during a women's healthy cooking demonstration in celebration of the American Heart Association's 'Go Red for Women Day' at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Plains Township.
Students in the DPD/Spanish Emphasis option are currently studying in Costa Rica
Ariel and Keira are currently completing their final semester of the Didactic Program in Dietetics: Spanish Emphasis Curriculum Option (DPD-Spanish). Both students are immersed in the culture of Costa Rica while studying Spanish at CPI. Both students will be volunteering their time in nutrition-related activities while in Costa Rica.
Marywood University's 'Harvest Your Health!' Health Fair - 11/2014
Wright Center for Primary Care 'Fall into Health' Fair - 10/2014
For past Health Promotion and Wellness Activities, please click here.
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org/
- American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org/
- American Heart Association http://www.americanheart.org/
- American Medical Association http://www.ama-assn.org/
- American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/
- National Institute on Aging http://www.nia.nih.gov/
- National Institutes of Health http://www.nih.gov/
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/index.htm
- National Osteoporosis Foundation http://www.nof.org/
- National Health and Nutrition Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm
- Head Start's Nutrition page http://www.nhsa.org/
- Head Start Nutrition Education Curriculum http://www.bmcc.edu/Headstart/NECurriculum/
- Child Nutrition and Health http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic
- Women, Infants and Children http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/
- Child and Adult Care Food Program http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/
- Healthy People 2020 http://www.health.gov/healthypeople
- http://Thomas.loc.gov/ This site provides Bill Summary and Status, Bill text, and Public law by numbers. It is Legislative Information on the Internet that is a service of the Library of Congress.
Nutrition Education and Educational Resources
- Society for Nutrition Education http://www.sne.org/
- USDA Nutrient Database http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
- Fitday Free Web Based Nutrition Tracking http://fitday.com/
- Fruits and Veggies Matter http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/
- Food and Nutrition Information Center http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/index.html
- Mifflin St. Jeor BMR Estimation Calculator http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
- Linus Pauling Institute: Micronutrient and Phytochemical Information Center http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/
- RD 411 http://rd411.com/
- Bell Institute of Health and Nutrition http://www.bellinstitute.com/
- My Plate (My Pyramid replacement) http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition http://www.faseb.org/ascn
- Journal of Clinical Nutrition (Requires access to Elsevier) http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/623017/description#description
- Institute of Food Technologists http://www.ift.org/
- Institute of Food Science and Technology http://www.ifst.org
Sports Nutrition & Exercise Science
- American College of Sports Medicine http://www.acsm.org
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists http://www.scandpg.org/
- National Strength and Conditioning Association http://www.nsca.com/
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute http://www.gssiweb.com/
- International Society of Sports Nutrition http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/
- ExRx: Exercise and Muscle Directory http://www.exrx.net/
- Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (open access) http://www.jissn.com/
- Center for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/
- United Stated Department of Agriculture http://www.usda.gov/
- Food and Nutrition Service (United States Department of Agriculture) http://www.fns.usda.gov/fns/
- Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion http://www.usda.gov/cnpp/
- Food and Drug Administration http://www.fda.gov/