Can I work while attending the PA Program?

Full-time  or part-time employment is discouraged because of the rigors of the program.

What types of experience meet the requirement for direct patient contact hours or clinical experience?
The preferable experience(s) would involve a clinical relationship between a patient and a provider and may be one of direct interaction or active observation. Examples include experience as a RN or LPN, EMT, paramedic emergency room technician/clerk, medical office assistant, shadowing of a PA or physician, hospital volunteer, or applicable experience in other health-related fields. A total of 500 hours is required.
On average, what are the expenses (tuition, fees, etc.) for PA students at Marywood University?

Tuition for the graduate PA Program didactic and clinical phases of the program is $725 per credit (79 credits total) Books and equipment generally cost approximately $3000.

How do Marywood students apply to the Professional Phase of the Program?
Marywood students submit an internal application directly to the PA Program, all other students apply through CASPA.
What type of prerequisite courses do you need in order to transfer into Marywood's graduate PA program?
The required courses are Biology I with lab and Biology II with lab component.Chemistry I with lab, Chemistry II with lab. Anatomy and Physiology I and II both with labs, and one semester of Microbiology with lab. Two semesters of Organic Chemistry with lab components will be required for the class entering May 2014.
Do I have to complete all of the required course work by the time I apply?

No. Individuals who will not complete the required course work until the end of the spring semester of the year they wish to commence the program will be reviewed on the basis of their completed work. If they are accepted to the program this acceptance will be "conditional" based on satisfactory completion of the required academic and/or clinical work.

What type of financial assistance is available?
Most students receive a combination of loans, grants, and,in the case of our Pre-PA students, work-study.
Do you require taking the GRE?

The general GRE is required for admission to the professional phase of the PA Program.  For more information please refer to the ETS website. The Marywood GRE code is 2407.

What are the required six-week clinical rotations?
Students are required to complete six 6-week clinical clerkships. These include: Pediatrics, Women's Health/Psychiatry, Orthopedics, Emergency Medicine, General Surgery, and an elective. In addition the student must complete a 6-month Preceptorship of which a minimum of 3 months must be in Internal Medicine or Family Practice.
Can I do my clinical rotations out of the area?
Yes. We presently have a number of rotations which are "out of the area" and we encourage and make every effort to assist students in finding other rotations which will broaden their academic experience.
How long does it take most students to complete the PA program?
The professional phase begins in May and is 27 months in duration.
Is there any special equipment required for PA classes?

Equipment required for PA classes includes:

  • Oto-ophthalmic Scope (approx. $450)
  • Stethoscope (approx. $75-$150)
  • Lab coat/patch (approx. $30)
  • Reflex hammer, tuning fork (approx. $20)


A vendor is normally on site on Orientation Day for new PA students. If you are planning on purchasing your lab coat prior to orientation, please keep in mind that we require a short lab coat.