More Success Stories
Dr. Brenda Pavill
Position: Associate Professor of Nursing at Misericordia University, Dallas, PA
"The focus of my doctoral degree provided me with a more global picture of academia as well as made me cognizant of how much can be accomplished by respecting and being open to the expertise and wisdom of our interdisciplinary partners. My advanced degree at Marywood was truly instrumental in my academic success."
Dr. Pavill teaches across the undergraduate and graduate curriculum. She is certified as an Educator and Family Nurse Practitioner and maintains the practice of volunteering at a free health clinic. She has held an array of nursing positions from staff nurse to administrator in Maternal Child Nursing. Her research interests focus on issues related to innovative teaching-learning strategies, nursing through the lens of literature, variables contributing to student success and the aesthetic side of nursing. She is passionate in having nurses share their moments by telling their nursing stories and looks for avenues in supporting nurses to do so. Dr. Pavill is a member of several professional organizations such as Sigma Theta Tau, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners and The Society of Pediatric Nurses. She has been the recipient of several teaching awards. Dr. Pavill is also author of an inspirational book, Nursing Shoes, is based on her nursing career and many nurse-patient experiences. There is also a paperback version of Nursing Shoes plus an ebook. The ebook is available through Amazon and in their Kindle Select (Kdp) program. My A SIN: is B007V65BV0
Awards and Acknowledgements
Lori Swanchak, Ph.D., PA-C, DFAAPA, program director and clinical assistant professor of Marywood's physician assistant program, earned national recognition as an American Academy of Physician Assistants Distinguished Fellow. Distinguished fellows receive recognition for their outstanding contributions to patient care and the profession as a physician assistant. They also demonstrate significant dedication and involvement in the community.
William Fred Miller, Ph.D., was selected as 2014 winner of the William G. McGowan Medal for Excellence in Doctoral Studies at Marywood University.
Beverly McNamara, Ph.D., was selected as 2014 winner of the Melvin Medal for Excellence in Scholarly Investigation at Marywood University
Edward P. Syron, Ph.D. has been profiled by the Greater Ohio Healthcare Leaders' Forum.
Christopher W. O'Brien, MS, ATC was selected as the recipient of the Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association (EATA) 2007 Francis J .George Scholarship Award. This award is given to the most outstanding doctoral student who is a member of the EATA.
Patricia Miller, Ph.D. was named the Margaretta Belin Chamberlin Chair Award for Distinguished Faculty Service at Keystone College
Brian Mauro was the recipient of the Grady Roberts Graduate Student Writing Award for an abbreviated version of the paper, Can Social Norming Theory Be Applied to Change Student Behavior?, derived from his Qualifying Paper.
Dr. Francis Battisti was recently promoted to the rank of State University of New York Distinguished Service Professor and inducted into the ranks of the SUNY Distinguished Academy.
Eugene Kelly, Ph.D., was selected as 2015 winner of the Melvin Medal for Excellence in Scholarly Investigation at Marywood University.
CURRENT STUDENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
Stanley Kania, a member of the 2014 Ph.D. Program cohort, received word that his recent research on" Alumni Engagement in the College Recruiting Process" is being picked up for publication by the National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals in their Fall 2014 issue of Perspectives, their quarterly publication.
Sample Employment Settings of Alumni
- Kristine Bewick, Ph.D. - Wilkes University (faculty)
- Trudy Coleman, Ph.D. - Northeast Regional Cancer Institute (epidemiologist)
- Pat Dunleavy, Ph.D. - Marywood University (Human Resources)
- Debra Fetherman, Ph.D. - University of Scranton (Director of Community Health Education)
- Rodeen Lechleitner, Ph.D. -University of Scranton (Faculty Specialist in Community Health Education)
- Sonji Lee, Ph.D. - Keystone College (faculty)
- Jeff Leitzel, Ph.D. - Bloomsburg University (faculty)
- Jill Murray, Ph.D. - Lackawanna College (Academic Vice President)
- Stephen Pugliese, Ph.D. - Immaculata University (Vice President for Student Development and Engagement)
- Lia Richards-Palmiter, Ph.D. - Marywood University (Diversity Office)
- Thomas Quinn, Ph.D. - Abington Heights School District (Assistant Superintendent)
- Cherie Roberts, Ph.D. - Bloomsburg University (faculty)
- Heather Shanks-McElroy, Ph.D. - Keystone College (faculty)
- Ann Way, Ph.D. - Tunkhannock Area School District (Assistant Superintendent)
- Francis Battisti, Ph.D., SUNY Broome Community College (Executive Vice President)
- Janine Becker, Ph.D., Dean of Enrollment Management, York College
- Sara Rothenberger, Ph.D., Connecticut College, New London (Director of Residential Education and Living)
- Lisa Jean Schumacher, Ph.D., Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit (Assistant Director of Special Programs & Services)
- Judith Rex, Ph.D., Northampton Community College (Interim Dean of Allied Health and Sciences)