The thrill of starting college and moving out of your parents' home can be swiftly undermined by the sight of your new room. Room size, fitting in all your belongings, and sharing space with others can be daunting. We want to see how, with a little creativity and imagination, your transformed your space into a cozy campus retreat!
The room decorating contest is open to all current Marywood residents. Submitted photos will be judged based on the categories below. All photos are eligible to be featured on the Marywood Residence Life website. Before you submit your photos, please review the Residence Life listing of Prohibited Items.
If you enter and win a Category (Best in Hall), EVERY Roommate wins an Amazon $20 Gift Certificate!
Judging Categories & Deadlines
BEST IN HALL:
When you enter the Room Decorating Contest, you are automatically entered into judging for the Best in Hall category. This means you will compete against every other entry from your residence hall. Best in Hall submissions must be submitted by Sunday, October 13th.
Best In Hall entries will be judged by staff members from Housing & Residence Life, Web Development Department offices, and Marywood Alumni the week of October 14th using the criteria to the right. Winners will be announced announced the following week.
All entries submitted by Sunday, October 13th will be entered into the Alumni Favorite category. Marywood Alumni will pick one favorite from all room decorating contest submissions. Judging will take place the week of October 14th and the winner announced the following week.
Rules & Guidelines
- Contest is open only to students living in University residence halls.
- Enter as many times as you like!
- Do not include photos of you or your roommates in the room.
- All entries must comply with both University and Housing & Residence Life policies. A full listing of Residential Life policies is available on the College website at Housing & Residence Life policies, and University policies are available in the current Student Handbook.
- Entries with photographs that show University and or Housing & Residence Life policy violations will be disqualified before judging takes place.
- No visible drug or alcohol paraphernalia or promotional materials.
- No visible pornography or obscene material.
- All residents of each room must agree to enter the contest. Each resident must respond to a confirmation e-mail permitting their participation in the competition.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of the photographs submitted by residents. In submitting these photographs, residents give permission for any images taken during this process to be used indefinitely on Marywood University’s website and in Housing & Residence Life or Marywood University marketing materials for the purposes of providing visual examples of residence hall rooms. Participants must understand that online images will be viewed by anyone visiting the College’s website and/or marketing materials.
- All application deadlines must be met.
Residents should not invest money into improving their rooms solely for the purposes of this contest. Entries will not be judged on how expensive rooms appear to be, but on the interesting and creative ways that residents have decided to work with limited means and spaces. Thanks for applying, and good luck!
How To Enter
It’s easy! Just take a photo of your decorated room, complete the Entry Form by October 13th, and win prizes!
Categories & Prizes
- Best In Hall - EACH Roomate in EACH category will receive a $20 gift certificate from Amazon!
- Emmanuel, Perpetual Help, McCarty
Alumni Favorite – Prize: The winners of the Alumni Favorite award will have the unique experience of having dinner with notable Marywood alumni.
Get creative with your photography. Shoot the room from a unique angle or include your friends.
Think about rearranging the furniture to use the space more efficiently.
Bedding, pillows, rugs, and curtains can add nice touches of color.
Be yourself! We want to see your personality come out through your design choices!
- Dorm Room Pinterest Board
- Smart, Cool Dorm Rooms
- Lovely Undergrad: Flickr Gallery
- Solutions for a Pre-Furnished Space
- Tips for Creating a Well Decorated Dorm Room
- Affordable Solutions for Cool Dorm Room Decor
- Decorating Dorm Room On a Budget
- Tips to Decorate a Cheap Dorm Room
- Dorm Room Furniture Essentials
- Projects and Solutions for Budget Decorators
- Lovely Undergrad: A college gal's guide to living lovely on a student budget