Bayleaf Open 2018: A Celebration of Art & Literature
Open Call for Art & Writing Entries
March 2018 is Creativity Month at Marywood University! As part of the celebration, the Bayleaf has created a new event called Bayleaf Open where area high school students and current Marywood students are eligible to submit art and writing on a theme. Artworks will be on display in the Learning Commons while selected literary works will be read aloud during a public reception and celebration. Prizes will also be awarded. This event is free and open to the public. All are welcome.
- All entries---artworks and writing---must be inspired by "The pursuit of truth, goodness, beauty, justice, and the common good" which comes from Marywood University's Core Values.
- One entry per student. We only accept original student work.
- Open to all Marywood undergraduate students as well as 11th and 12t hgrade students in Lackawanna County.
- $1,000 Marywood University scholarships will be awarded to high school students (1 art and 1 writing scholarship will be awarded to 11th grade students; 1 art and 1 writing scholarship will be awarded to 12th grade students)
- A $250 gift certificate will be awarded to the best art and the best writing submission from Marywood students.
All mediums accepted so long as the work is light enough to hang with double sided sticky tape without falling due to excessive weight.
- Size: 8.5x11 (portrait or landscape)
- Must use the card stock paper provided by your art teacher or by visiting the Art Department at Marywood, Insalaco Center for Studio Arts, Room 116.
All works must be submitted digitally through the appropriate GoogleForm link below. Poems, short stories, or essays of no more than five double-spaced pages will be considered for this competition. All work must be typed in a legible font; handwritten entries will not be accepted.
Note: at the event, you will be asked to limit your reading to a two-page excerpt.
- All submissions must be received at Marywood by March 17, 2018. The student’s name should not appear on the work. Use the cover sheet provided.
- Artwork submissions may be mailed or hand-delivered to:
Attn: Bayleaf Open 2018
Marywood Department of Visual Arts
Insalaco Center for Studio Arts, Room 116
2300 Adams Avenue, Scranton, PA 18509
- Writing submissions may be uploaded to the links below:
- Works will not be returned by mail.
- All art participants will have the opportunity to retrieve their artwork from the Learning Commons in person on April 3-6, 2018
- All uncollected artwork will be discarded on April 6, 2018
- If you have questions, please contact Cheryl Kashuba at email@example.com