Military and Veteran Services
Director of Military and Veterans Services (#411)
40 hours per week / 52 weeks per year
Variable hours based on workload and events. Routinely 8:00 - 4:30 or 8:30 - 5:00
Summary of Duties
The Director of Military and Veteran Services will be responsible for providing leadership to the Veteran's Services office, which recruits, retains, and serves undergraduate and graduate veteran students at the University.
The Director supervises staff (incl. VA Work Study) and oversees recruitment and retention activities for veteran students; will initiate and develop new co-curricular veteran programming, assess and revise existing programs; serve as a liaison to various offices across campus and to external and community partners; seek and compose grants for external funding; and supervise office staff.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to, and/or passion for the education of veterans, an understanding of the educational areas of interest to this population, and some familiarity with the transitional and pedagogical issues that apply.
The Director is responsible for establishing relationships and partnerships within the university and the larger community to create and offer programs that support the retention and success of veteran students.
Will need to travel off campus for informational sessions, meet and coordinate with local military and veterans organizations and attend conferences.
Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
Preferred: Master’s degree
Work Experience Requirements
3 year's experience in veteran services or programs and familiarity with military and veteran education benefits strongly preferred.
- Workshop and program development
- Work effectively and collaboratively with various university and external constituencies
- Work with a diverse student population
- Strong planning and organizational skills
At a minimum, the essential functions of the Military and Veteran Services Director are to:
- Plan, organize, and direct activities related to student veterans.
- Assess, monitor, and track the needs of the current student veteran population; recommend new initiatives according to the identified needs.
- Serve as professional resource to university community regarding helpful strategies for working with student veterans.
- Collaborate with other program areas on activities to enhance the holistic well being of student veterans.
- Work with student veterans to facilitate a successful transition to civilian life, and an effective retention plan.
- Coordinate assigned activities, promotional efforts, and the center's programs during the academic year.
- Select, supervise and evaluate staff.
- Act as the primary School Certifying Official in certifying enrollment of all students receiving veteran educational benefits; update and report accurate enrollment to VA.
- Maintain accurate records in accordance with College Records Retention Policy and FERPA; coordinate audits of records as requested by the DHENA.
- Ensure the university is in compliance with state and federal agencies by maintaining a thorough knowledge of veterans' affairs policies and procedures; prepares and submits reports to the appropriate federal and state entities.
- Communicate with the appropriate state and federal agencies to resolve conflicting issues as needed.
- Collect and maintain data on University veterans including enrollment statistics and needs assessment information.
- Develop, prepare, and present recommendations and reports to share anonymous data (group profiles) with Administration, Grants, funders, and Evaluator.
- Oversee creation and content maintenance of website
- Prepare annual budget; oversees and ensures recording of expenditures.
- Assist in preparation of grant proposals and budgets; when awarded, administers the program and meets award requirements.
- Other duties as assigned
Apply for Director of Military and Veterans Services online