3-D Studio Technician (Hot shop & Wood shop) (#145)
Summary of Duties
The Marywood University Department of Art seeks a 3-D Studio Technician, beginning August 2018. This is a full-time, 10-month, support staff position with full health and retirement benefits. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains all equipment in the hot shop and wood shop. Evaluation of machines and equipment must happen on daily/ongoing basis to ensure a safe working environment. Safety hazards (which are) identified and evaluated for resolution must be discussed with Area Head.
- Ensures that MSDS forms of materials are available in the studio. If the forms are not on file, the technician will make an inquiry to obtain them through on-line investigation, requests to suppliers, and/or comply with the university system for making MSDS forms available for reference in the studio.
- Is responsible for the general appearance of the studio. This extends to cabinets and shelves, floors, walls, and storage of materials in a proper place and manner.
- Prepares the studios for classes based on the specific needs of (students) and instructors.
- Able to deliver clear instruction for tool use and present accessible demonstrations on materials, tools, and safe use of each.
- Is responsible for the inventory and purchasing of supplies and materials.
- Offers presentations to students to familiarize them with any technical area, which relates to assignments of instructors.
- Is available to assist instructors in various forms of scholarship including preparation for exhibitions and presentations
- Must be flexible and available for special projects: the Art Department supports cross-disciplinary activities with other programs within the department and the University.
- Is part of a team with faculty to provide depth and richness in a studio environment for students.
BFA or BA in art or closely related field or significant, comparable work experience. Preference given to applicant’s with Studio Arts background.
Extensive knowledge of wood shop, hand fabrication tools, hot and cold metal fabrication, casting experience and kiln use. Applicant must have strong communication and interpersonal skills. Applicant must have general knowledge of electricity, plumbing and mixed material building safety. Applicant must work well with others and nurture a collaborative, supportive environment with faculty and students.
Marywood University is a comprehensive Catholic University sponsored by the Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and located in northeastern Pennsylvania, easily accessible to Philadelphia, New York City and the Pocono Mountains. Rooted in the Catholic intellectual tradition, our mission seeks to empower students through education and commitment to social justice.
How to Apply
For full consideration, please submit an updated resume and a completed Marywood Employment Application to email@example.com.