Nutrition and Dietetics
Lab Assistant (#938)
Summary of Duties
The Nutrition department is seeking a lab assistant to support students, faculty and the University. We are looking for an individual who is able to actively engage students in the unique learning environment of a foods lab. Labs assisted include Basic Foods, Food Science, and Social and Cultural Foods. The ability to multi-task is essential in this position. The ideal candidate for this job is resourceful, a good problem solver in the absence of the lab Faculty and has superior organization skills.
- Manage workflow ensuring that deadlines are met and work is completed timely and correctly
- Shop for groceries and supplies serving as financial steward to the university to coordinate purchase and distribution of food for all labs utilizing electronic medium to track purchases
- Keep all storage areas neat, clean and orderly per industry standards
- Restock and set up lab one hour prior to scheduled lab time
- Courteously assist students and faculty in location of equipment and supplies treating them and others with dignity and respect at all times
- Maintain an electronic inventory of all equipment in the lab reporting any issues or required repairs to supervisor utilizing work order system
- Remove and replace china, stemware and flatware to proper location maintaining accurate inventory
- Assume responsibility for maintenance and preventive maintenance of equipment within the lab
- Monitor lab clean-up utilizing strong interpersonal skills and providing constructive feedback ensuring timely release of students
- Cleans all laundry from lab utilizing facilities on premise
- Routinely discard, freeze and label any leftover items rotating stock to ensure best possible utilization
- Respond to questions, requests for information and other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work under pressure with constant interruptions.
- Must be dependable, reliable, and pleasant.
- Must be professional when working with faculty, staff, and students.
- Must have the ability to work independently, make sound decisions, and find unusual food and grocery items.
- Computer experience preferred but will train to include Microsoft Word, Excel, and others as needed
Standing, walking, reaching, climbing on step stool, lifting/carrying up to 50# using a hand truck
How to Apply
A completed application must be on file in the Office of Human Resources by in person drop-off, mail, or to firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Human Resources
Liberal Arts Center 86
(Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)