Information Technology (IT)
DBA / Colleague Administrator (#974)
Summary of Duties
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Database / Colleague Administrator has the overall responsibility for the management of the MS SQL databases and Colleague, the university’s enterprise information system. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, installation, configuration, upgrade, administration, monitoring, and maintenance of MS SQL databases as well as the Ellucian Colleague ERP suite of products.
The Database / Colleague Administrator is expected to exhibit a high level of problem-solving ability and resourcefulness and be able to work on fairly complex systems with only general direction and supervision required.
- Provide technical expertise in the administration of the MS SQL databases, including upgrades, backup and recovery, and performance management, which support the business functions of the university.
- Provide technical support for the Colleague ERP System in the regular application of patches and upgrades.
- Provide technical expertise for MS SQL Server and other related servers.
- Perform database administration activities including monitoring, performance tuning, SQL tuning, database backup and recovery, disaster recovery, data replication and database refresh of the SQL databases underlying the ERP systems.
- Coordinate and implement the upgrades to Colleague’s SQL databases and applications.
- Work with vendor support centers for solutions to issues and problems
- Manage user accounts within the Colleague ERP system, assigning the appropriate access and user level security.
- Develop and enforce security guidelines for production database access.
- Develop and test plans for complete disaster recovery lifecycle.
- Maintain development, test, and production RDBMS environments.
- Research, test, and implement new technologies with regards to the various database systems and administrative applications.
- Maintain currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems related to database management and support.
- Review, develop, and design data models using standard diagramming techniques, in conjunction with application development teams; create logical data models and translate into physical database structures that integrate with existing or proposed database structures.
- Stay abreast of the latest issues surrounding database administration through participation in related mailing lists, attending necessary training and conferences.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Work Experience Requirements:
- Three or more years as an MS SQL database administrator, in a production environment, is required.
- Work experience and proficiency in MS SQL is required.
- Experience working in web-based environments.
- Experience in server-software installation, upgrades, configuration, troubleshooting, and testing.
- Knowledge of computer and/or network security systems, applications, procedures, and techniques.
- Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in the area of expertise.
- Technical writing skills.
- Ability to install, maintain, modify, and upgrade database software.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in the area of expertise.
- Ability to program, configure, manage, and maintain the operations of complex relational databases.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Organization and time management skills.
- Ability to communicate with users at all levels of computer knowledge.
- Excellent people skills and a desire to provide exceptional customer service.
- Experience providing technical support in a higher education environment preferred.
How to Apply
A Marywood application, resume and the names and complete addresses of three current professional references should be submitted to the Office of Human Resources: Marywood University, 2300 Adams Avenue, Scranton, PA 18509-1598 in person or via regular mail. Applications can also be emailed to: email@example.com.