Gift Officer: Major and Legacy Gifts (#566)
40 hrs per wk, 52 wks per yr. (Nights and weekends as necessary)
Summary of Duties
Are you a self-motivated professional passionate about education? Marywood University has an exciting opportunity for a frontline fundraiser who has shown success building and enhancing relationships to inspire prospective donors to invest in philanthropic causes. The Gift Officer is responsible for securing financial support by engaging donors in the life of the University, by communicating Marywood’s strategic goals, and by leveraging volunteer networks.
The ideal candidate will have three to five years of successful frontline fundraising experience and possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The Gift Officer is responsible for developing professional relationships with alumni, parents, and friends that results in support of University needs and priorities. They will be compelling in their commitment to a liberal arts education and be capable of articulating a persuasive, passionate case for support.
If you like being part of a dynamic, donor-centered team of Advancement professionals responsible for providing opportunities for others to make a difference, submit your application today. To be considered, please include your resume and cover letter in the application.
Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
At least three years of professional fundraising experience or professional transferable experience (i.e. managing relationships with required measurable output, making calls, conducting face-to-face appointments, creating and presenting proposals, and other fundamental elements of client relationship or sales-related activities).
Understanding of the needs and interests of donors to develop mutually beneficial relationships between the donors and the University. Self-motivated, enthusiastic and energetic with solid relationship-building skills. Knowledge of and/or experience with estate planning and a range of planned giving vehicles. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong customer service approach. Commitment to a liberal arts education and capable of articulating a persuasive, passionate case for support.
Must have a strong commitment to the mission and goals of Marywood and the desire to assist the University in achieving these goals. Ability to represent the University with the highest degree of professionalism and positive public relations. Maintain confidentiality. Proficiency in MS Office and Raiser’s Edge/NXT (or comparable donor database software). Volunteer management experience preferred.
Must be able to travel around the region and to other areas of the country, as assigned. Must have a driver’s license; weekend and evening work will be required.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Personally manage a portfolio of top prospects with the capacity to make gifts of $25K+, plan, and execute solicitation strategies leading to major and legacy gifts.
- Build enduring relationships, tracked to a fixed and appropriately aggressive set of fundraising metrics. Meet assigned activity and revenue goals.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive program for legacy giving working with UA Team.
- Develop and execute a marketing and communications plan to promote legacy giving.
- Prepare necessary materials, including written funding proposals, letters of intent, gift agreements, and stewardship communication for all assigned prospects.
- Coordinate and develop programming for the planned giving recognition society, Tourmaline Legacy Society.
- Maintain timely and accurate records of donor communications and contacts in CRM (Raiser’s Edge/NXT).
- Generate creative solutions in a manner consistent with entrepreneurial spirit resulting in innovative ways to engage prospects in philanthropic support of the University.
- Recruit and guide volunteer committees charged with meaningful roles and responsibilities in the fundraising process. Work closely with Alumni Engagement team in constituent outreach, gatherings and fundraising initiatives and provide support when needed.
- Collaborate with the University Advancement team, other campus representatives, and volunteers to identify and build strategies for securing donor support.
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of legacy giving options, opportunities, and applicable laws.
- Serve as an ambassador for the University and articulate its priorities and core values. Attend University and community events/activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Marywood University, in accordance with applicable provisions of federal law, does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities, including admission, or with respect to employment. Inquiries should be directed to the Director of Equity and Inclusion/Title IX Coordinator, Marywood University, Scranton, PA 18509-1598. Phone: 570-340-6042 or e-mail Yerodin Lucas.
A completed Marywood application is required
Apply for Gift Officer: Major and Legacy Gifts online