Thomas F. Kent, Ph.D.
Center for Natural and Health (CNHS) building, Room 318
(570) 348-6211 ext. 2278
Center for Natural and Health Science (CNHS) building, Room 320 A
Class of 2009
I am currently a math teacher for the Scranton School District. Some of my favorite Marywood memories were our math club parties and when we went to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics conference in Atlantic City.
see more »
Begin your application or request more information.
About Fractals | Gallery
Math and Computer Science Club
The Integrated Math and Computer Science Club, iMacs, promotes mathematics and computer science in the community. Each year, its members participate in many on- and off-campus events.
We usually attend the regional or national meeting of NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Matheamtics), the PCTM (Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics), or the MAA (Mathematical Association of America) national conference.
Moravian Student Mathematics Conference
Members attend the annual Moravian Student Mathematics Conference, where undergraduate students present independent research. Marywood math majors often make presentations at this conference. The following is a short list of the most recent ones:
- On Feb. 18, 2012, Sarah Yuest and Amberly Warner presented their joint work titled "Hyperbolic Geometry"
- On Feb. 18, 2012, Geri Smith gave a presentation titled "Fractal Geometry: History and Theory"
- On Feb. 18, 2012, Corey Foote gave a presentation titled "The Pollard's Rho Method for Factoring Numbers"
- On Feb. 26, 2011, Michael Kuniega gave his presentation titled "The Dihedral Group D_12 and Musical Transformations on Triads".
- On Feb. 20, 2010, Kayla Troast presented her work on the stereotype threat for female students on their mathematical performance
- On Feb. 20, 2010, Bradley Fenstermaker presented his research on modeling the outbreak of zombies and studying the chance of survival of humans in such a scenario.
- On Feb. 17, 2007, Colin Conrad presented his work concerning k-semismooth integers. Colin's research has deep connections to cryptology, the science of code encryption and decryption.
High School Math Contest
The Math Club hosts Marywood's annual High School Math Contest. The contest consists of two 40-problem tests created by Math Club members under faculty supervision. Prizes are awarded for the top three scorers at each level.
- President: David P. Gitkos Jr.
- Vice-President: Keith Valenski
- Treasurer: David P. Gitkos Jr.
- Secretary: David P. Gitkos Jr.
- P.R. Officer: David P. Gitkos Jr.
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Dhanapati Adhikari