Business Ethics: Perfect Match or Oxymoron?
Published on Thu, March 08, 2012
On Monday, March 19, from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Marywood University will host its 10th Annual "Ethical Leaders and Corporate Social Responsibility Forum." Dr. Gale Jaeger, associate professor of business, says, despite the media's portrayal of corporate culture, ethics and business are not odd bedfellows.
"Whenever there are people involved, there will be good judgments and bad judgments," she says. "The important question is: Have you made any mistakes, and, if so, what are you doing to make things better?"
Having taught at Marywood University for 20 years, Dr. Jaeger—who started the ethics forum ten years ago—believes that it is important for business leaders to gather to discuss ethical behavior. Moreover, this year's conference will also feature a segment on sustainable building practices. This, says Dr. Jaeger, is a new direction for the forum.
"People don't often consider architecture with their thinking about ethical behavior," Dr. Jaeger says, "but art and architecture are businesses. You need to ask questions such as: How do we build in an ethical way?"
Listen to Kenny Luck, coordinator of public relations and new media, talk with Dr. Jaeger about the ethics forum.
Speakers and panelists include:
- Susan Unvarksy, Senior Vice-President of Operations for Prudential
- Marisa Burke, News Anchor, WNEP
- Dr. Saron McCrone, Executive Director of EOTC
- Louis Shapiro, Executive Vice-President of Burkavage Design Associates
- Gregory Hunt, Dean of Marywood's School of Architecture
- Dr. Tony Mussari and Kitch Loftus Mussari, Authors and Documentarians
- Dr. Ann Henry, Vice President of Cisco Capital Systems
- Craig Best, President and CEO of Penn Security Bank
- Christopher DiMattio, Senior Vice-President of FNCB
- Robert Tyndall, Chief Ethics Officer of Prudential
The panel will be followed by a "Q & A" session and a reception, where refreshments will be served.
For more information, please contact Dr. Gale Jaeger, associate professor of business, at (570) 348-6211 x2380 or email@example.com.