Strength Building and Muscle Mass
Safer ways to increase muscle
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
Wegmans Store Tour
As a Community RDN, one aspect of your job may be providing store tours to at risk populations. Members of SAND recently had to opportunity to experience a store tour at Wegmans. Wegmans offers small portion sizes on their ready-to-eat foods and a large section of organic produce at reasonable prices. Wegmans also offers a wide variety of employee and customer health programs to educate the public on nutrition and wellness.
Wright Center 5k
Marywood SAND members continued their community outreach at The Wright Center 5K. The students provided the 5k participants with information on pre and post exercise nutrition and berry smoothie samples.
Nutrition and Dietetics students had the opportunity to participate in Marywood University's Food Day. The event included local venders and student organizations. Our students provided attendants with samples of a pumpkin oatmeal, which was both gluten and dairy free. The recipe can be found at the following link: http://simplytaralynn.com/2014/09/10/healthy-pumpkin-pie-oatmeal-bring-on-the-fall/.
Nutrition Focused Physical Exam Workshop
On September 19th, senior CP and DPD students, DI interns, and PA students in their didactic year participated in an interprofessional Nutrition Focused Physical Exam workshop. The workshop was facilitated by PA program faculty member Mr. David Isgan, MHS, PA-C with three Nutrition and Dietetics faculty members in attendance. Students and interns attended an interactive lecture in the morning and gained hands on practice in the afternoon.
Equines for Freedom 5K
SAND members participated in the Equines for Freedom 5k event held at Lake Carey on Sunday, September 20th. They presented information on pre and post workout nutrition as well as provided samples of healthy snacks. It was a small event, no more than 100 participants, which enhanced their outreach to the community. At the event, SAND members were able to interact with Senator Lisa Baker of the 20th Senatorial District. They hope to attend next years event, as it will be bigger, and provide nutrition education to the participants.
New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
Current DPD student, Rebecca Huber, was recently publish in an article produced by Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station. The article provides great advice for students who want to avoid unwanted weight gain in college. Her article can be found at: https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/fs1243/.
2016 DPD Program Students
Senior DPD students volunteered at Tobyhanna Army Depot for the Sept.16th Prevention Fair. The theme of the table and nutrition education provided was "Healthy Eating on the Go" which included informational handouts as well as recipe cards for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Salad shakers and samples of healthy snacks were given to Tobyhanna employees to enjoy.
2015 Coordinated Program Class
Congratulations to our 2015 Coordinated Program class! on May 6th they took their last final exam, completing all of their CP requirements!
Phi Sigma Iota Induction
Austin Fernandez and Keira Logue were inducted into the Phi Sigma Iota honor society, an international foreign language honor society, at Marywood University. Austin is a junior in the Spanish emphasis DPD and Keira Logue a senior in the Spanish emphasis DPD.
PA Family and Consumer Sciences Conference
On May 1st students and Faculty attended the PA Family and Consumer Sciences Conference at the Inn at Pocono Manor. Pictured are Nutrition and Dietetics Assistant Professor Dr. Erin O'Hora, Family and Consumer Sciences student Kristen Dougherty, and Director of Family and Consumer Sciences Mrs. Sandi Graham. Mrs. Graham was the PAFCS Program Chair and Dr. O'Hora gave a talk on the updated Nutrition Facts Label.
Senior Honors Thesis
Ariel Muirhead presented her honors thesis at Marywood University's Honors Program 2015 senior reception on May 1st. Mrs Jessica Bodzio was her advisor. Ms. Amy Tomasko and Mrs. Alice Reyes were her committee members. Pictured are Ms. Tomasko, Ariel, and Mrs. Bodzio.
NEW Leadership Pennsylvania
Congratulations to Nutrition and Dietetics student, Maria Temples, for being accepted to the National Education for Women's (NEW) Leadership Pennsylvania institute this summer! Maria was a Team Leader on the Medical Mission Trip to Guatemala this year and she spoke as a Student Representative at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities Conference in Washington D.C. in February 2015.
Bhutanese Health Fair 2015
Students in the Nutrition and Dietetics Department participated in an interprofessional Health Fair for the Bhutanese community in South Scranton on April 18, 2015. Dessy Bubaris (pictured) is a junior CP student and functioned as the lead Nutrition and Dietetics student who coordinated the department’s involvement in this project.
Kidstuff Event 2015
Nutrition and Dietetics students volunteered at the Kidstuff event at Marywood University. There were 200 volunteers and more than 100 kids who attended from the United Neighborhood Centers and Friends of the Poor. Laura Niederer, freshman Nutrition and Dietetics student, created a poster and worksheets about the MyPlate using Mickey Mouse's shape. Pictured are Heather Kees, junior CP student, and Laura Niederer, freshman Nutrition and Dietetics student.
Food and Nutrition Magazine
Colleen Sideck, a current CP senior, was mentioned in the 'Join the Conversation' section of the March/April 2015 issue of Food and Nutrition Magazine. This section can be found at http://www.foodnutrimag-digital.com/foodnutrimag/march_april_2015/?pg=9&pm=1&u1=friend#pg9.
Marywood Nutrition Students take part in AHA's 'Go Red for Women Day' at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center - 2/2015
Marywood University dietetic interns Rose DeLuccia, right, and Rebecca Reed listen to questions while preparing BBQ-glazed chicken tenders during a women's healthy cooking demonstration in celebration of the American Heart Association's 'Go Red for Women Day' at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Plains Township.
Students in the DPD/Spanish Emphasis option are currently studying in Costa Rica
Ariel and Keira are currently completing their final semester of the Didactic Program in Dietetics: Spanish Emphasis Curriculum Option (DPD-Spanish). Both students are immersed in the culture of Costa Rica while studying Spanish at CPI. Both students will be volunteering their time in nutrition-related activities while in Costa Rica.
Marywood University's 'Harvest Your Health!' Health Fair - 11/2014
Wright Center for Primary Care 'Fall into Health' Fair - 10/2014
For past Health Promotion and Wellness Activities, please click here.
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org/
- American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org/
- American Heart Association http://www.americanheart.org/
- American Medical Association http://www.ama-assn.org/
- American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/
- National Institute on Aging http://www.nia.nih.gov/
- National Institutes of Health http://www.nih.gov/
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/index.htm
- National Osteoporosis Foundation http://www.nof.org/
- National Health and Nutrition Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm
- Head Start's Nutrition page http://www.nhsa.org/
- Head Start Nutrition Education Curriculum http://www.bmcc.edu/Headstart/NECurriculum/
- Child Nutrition and Health http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic
- Women, Infants and Children http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/
- Child and Adult Care Food Program http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/
- Healthy People 2020 http://www.health.gov/healthypeople
- http://Thomas.loc.gov/ This site provides Bill Summary and Status, Bill text, and Public law by numbers. It is Legislative Information on the Internet that is a service of the Library of Congress.
Nutrition Education and Educational Resources
- Society for Nutrition Education http://www.sne.org/
- USDA Nutrient Database http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
- Fitday Free Web Based Nutrition Tracking http://fitday.com/
- Fruits and Veggies Matter http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/
- Food and Nutrition Information Center http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/index.html
- Mifflin St. Jeor BMR Estimation Calculator http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
- Linus Pauling Institute: Micronutrient and Phytochemical Information Center http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/
- RD 411 http://rd411.com/
- Bell Institute of Health and Nutrition http://www.bellinstitute.com/
- My Plate (My Pyramid replacement) http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition http://www.faseb.org/ascn
- Journal of Clinical Nutrition (Requires access to Elsevier) http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/623017/description#description
- Institute of Food Technologists http://www.ift.org/
- Institute of Food Science and Technology http://www.ifst.org
Sports Nutrition & Exercise Science
- American College of Sports Medicine http://www.acsm.org
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists http://www.scandpg.org/
- National Strength and Conditioning Association http://www.nsca.com/
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute http://www.gssiweb.com/
- International Society of Sports Nutrition http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/
- ExRx: Exercise and Muscle Directory http://www.exrx.net/
- Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (open access) http://www.jissn.com/
- Center for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/
- United Stated Department of Agriculture http://www.usda.gov/
- Food and Nutrition Service (United States Department of Agriculture) http://www.fns.usda.gov/fns/
- Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion http://www.usda.gov/cnpp/
- Food and Drug Administration http://www.fda.gov/