Weight Gain at College
Freshman 15? No, it is Freshman 10!
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
Order of Mother Germaine O'Neil Honors Society
Dessy Bubaris was inducted into the Order of Mother Germaine O'Neil Honors Society. She will be gradating with a Citation in Honors.
Community Health Fair
Students from the Social and Cultural Aspects of Food course presented at a Community Health Fair held at Marywood University. They prepared a lentil recipe and talked about MyPlate, portion size, and the importance of measuring ingredients such as salt and oil when cooking for both children and adults.
Undergraduate Research Forum
Senior Nutrition and Dietetics student, Despina Bubaris, presented her research titled "Relationship Between Nutrition Education and Dietetics Students' Disordered Eating Attitude Eating and Behaviors" at the Undergraduate Research Forum at Marywood University.
Graduate Research Symposium
Graduate students from the MS in Nutrition and the MS in Sports Nutrition and Exercise Science programs presented their research at the Graduate Research Symposium held at Marywood University. Emma Shank presented her research titled "Determining Dietary Habits and Nutritional Deficits of Guatemalan Mothers of the Child Health and Nutrition Program of San Lucas, Toliman, Guatemala: Pilot Study", Lindsay Howard presented her research titled "Influence of Hydration Status on Cognitive Function and Skill Performance in Division III Collegiate Female Basketball Players", and Stacie Smith presented her research titled "Barriers to Participation in a Weight Management Program for College Freshman".
Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society
Congratulations to the 2015-2016 Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society inductees. Kappa Omicron Nu acknowledges undergraduate and graduate students who have shown outstanding dedication to their Nutrition and Dietetics course work.
Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting and Exhibition
Graduate student Stacie Smith presented her research titled "Barriers to Participation in a Weight Management Program for College Freshman" at the 2016 Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting and Exhibition.
Guatemala Medical Mission Trip
On March 6, 2016, along with an interprofessional team of students, Emma Shank (graduate student in the Nutrition & Dietetics Department) and Mrs. Jessica Bodzio (Clinical Assistant Professor in the Nutrition & Dietetics Department and faculty adviser) traveled to San Lucas Toliman, Guatemala for a medical mission. During the week, Emma trained a team of community Health Promoters to administer a customized Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ) with Guatemalan mothers for the first stage of their research. After the training, Emma and Jessica visited with Guatemalan mothers to test the questionnaire. The purpose of this phase of the research was to assess and improve the questionnaire's effectiveness. The Health Promoters did an excellent job and provided much helpful feedback. Emma and Jessica are looking forward to furthering their research and continuing their work in the upcoming months.
MetLife's Nutrition and Wellness Fair
For National Nutrition Month, Marywood Nutrition and Dietetic DPD students presented at MetLife's Nutrition and Wellness Fair. The students provided samples, games, and information on five major food groups. The fair also consisted of Marywood Nursing students, who took blood pressure for the employees, Terra Preta, WOW, MetLife's Community Health Promotion Intern, and MetLife's corporate RDN.
DPD/Spanish Emphasis Study Abroad in Costa Rica
Senior Spanish DPD student, Austin Fernandez, is currently in Costa Rica sharing his wealth of knowledge in nutrition with local residents. Austin conducted a nutrition education program at a senior center and focused on portion control of common Costa Rican vegetables, fruits, and grains. He has also been taking cooking lessons and has learned to make piacadillo de papas, zanahorias, and hand made tortillas.
PA Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics March 2016 Newsletter
Graduate Nutrition and Dietetics student, Stacie Smith, was featured in the PA Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Newsletter as the March Student Spotlight. The article can be found at: http://eatrightpa.org/marbe.cfm.
Nutrition Focused Physical Exam Workshop
On September 19th, senior CP and DPD students, DI interns, and PA students in their didactic year participated in an interprofessional Nutrition Focused Physical Exam workshop. The workshop was facilitated by PA program faculty member Mr. David Isgan, MHS, PA-C with three Nutrition and Dietetics faculty members in attendance. Students and interns attended an interactive lecture in the morning and gained hands on practice in the afternoon.
New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
Current DPD student, Rebecca Huber, was recently publish in an article produced by Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station. The article provides great advice for students who want to avoid unwanted weight gain in college. Her article can be found at: https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/fs1243/.
2016 DPD Program Students
Senior DPD students volunteered at Tobyhanna Army Depot for the Sept.16th Prevention Fair. The theme of the table and nutrition education provided was "Healthy Eating on the Go" which included informational handouts as well as recipe cards for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Salad shakers and samples of healthy snacks were given to Tobyhanna employees to enjoy.
2015 Coordinated Program Class
Congratulations to our 2015 Coordinated Program class! on May 6th they took their last final exam, completing all of their CP requirements!
Phi Sigma Iota Induction
Austin Fernandez and Keira Logue were inducted into the Phi Sigma Iota honor society, an international foreign language honor society, at Marywood University. Austin is a junior in the Spanish emphasis DPD and Keira Logue a senior in the Spanish emphasis DPD.
PA Family and Consumer Sciences Conference
On May 1st students and Faculty attended the PA Family and Consumer Sciences Conference at the Inn at Pocono Manor. Pictured are Nutrition and Dietetics Assistant Professor Dr. Erin O'Hora, Family and Consumer Sciences student Kristen Dougherty, and Director of Family and Consumer Sciences Mrs. Sandi Graham. Mrs. Graham was the PAFCS Program Chair and Dr. O'Hora gave a talk on the updated Nutrition Facts Label.
Senior Honors Thesis
Ariel Muirhead presented her honors thesis at Marywood University's Honors Program 2015 senior reception on May 1st. Mrs Jessica Bodzio was her advisor. Ms. Amy Tomasko and Mrs. Alice Reyes were her committee members. Pictured are Ms. Tomasko, Ariel, and Mrs. Bodzio.
NEW Leadership Pennsylvania
Congratulations to Nutrition and Dietetics student, Maria Temples, for being accepted to the National Education for Women's (NEW) Leadership Pennsylvania institute this summer! Maria was a Team Leader on the Medical Mission Trip to Guatemala this year and she spoke as a Student Representative at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities Conference in Washington D.C. in February 2015.
Bhutanese Health Fair 2015
Students in the Nutrition and Dietetics Department participated in an interprofessional Health Fair for the Bhutanese community in South Scranton on April 18, 2015. Dessy Bubaris (pictured) is a junior CP student and functioned as the lead Nutrition and Dietetics student who coordinated the department’s involvement in this project.
Food and Nutrition Magazine
Colleen Sideck, a current CP senior, was mentioned in the 'Join the Conversation' section of the March/April 2015 issue of Food and Nutrition Magazine. This section can be found at http://www.foodnutrimag-digital.com/foodnutrimag/march_april_2015/?pg=9&pm=1&u1=friend#pg9.
Marywood Nutrition Students take part in AHA's 'Go Red for Women Day' at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center - 2/2015
Marywood University dietetic interns Rose DeLuccia, right, and Rebecca Reed listen to questions while preparing BBQ-glazed chicken tenders during a women's healthy cooking demonstration in celebration of the American Heart Association's 'Go Red for Women Day' at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Plains Township.
Students in the DPD/Spanish Emphasis option are currently studying in Costa Rica
Ariel and Keira are currently completing their final semester of the Didactic Program in Dietetics: Spanish Emphasis Curriculum Option (DPD-Spanish). Both students are immersed in the culture of Costa Rica while studying Spanish at CPI. Both students will be volunteering their time in nutrition-related activities while in Costa Rica.
For past Health Promotion and Wellness Activities, please click here.
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org/
- American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org/
- American Heart Association http://www.americanheart.org/
- American Medical Association http://www.ama-assn.org/
- American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/
- National Institute on Aging http://www.nia.nih.gov/
- National Institutes of Health http://www.nih.gov/
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/index.htm
- National Osteoporosis Foundation http://www.nof.org/
- National Health and Nutrition Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm
- Head Start's Nutrition page http://www.nhsa.org/
- Head Start Nutrition Education Curriculum http://www.bmcc.edu/Headstart/NECurriculum/
- Child Nutrition and Health http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic
- Women, Infants and Children http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/
- Child and Adult Care Food Program http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/
- Healthy People 2020 http://www.health.gov/healthypeople
- http://Thomas.loc.gov/ This site provides Bill Summary and Status, Bill text, and Public law by numbers. It is Legislative Information on the Internet that is a service of the Library of Congress.
Nutrition Education and Educational Resources
- Society for Nutrition Education http://www.sne.org/
- USDA Nutrient Database http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
- Fitday Free Web Based Nutrition Tracking http://fitday.com/
- Fruits and Veggies Matter http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/
- Food and Nutrition Information Center http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/index.html
- Mifflin St. Jeor BMR Estimation Calculator http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
- Linus Pauling Institute: Micronutrient and Phytochemical Information Center http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/
- RD 411 http://rd411.com/
- Bell Institute of Health and Nutrition http://www.bellinstitute.com/
- My Plate (My Pyramid replacement) http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition http://www.faseb.org/ascn
- Journal of Clinical Nutrition (Requires access to Elsevier) http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/623017/description#description
- Institute of Food Technologists http://www.ift.org/
- Institute of Food Science and Technology http://www.ifst.org
Sports Nutrition & Exercise Science
- American College of Sports Medicine http://www.acsm.org
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists http://www.scandpg.org/
- National Strength and Conditioning Association http://www.nsca.com/
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute http://www.gssiweb.com/
- International Society of Sports Nutrition http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/
- ExRx: Exercise and Muscle Directory http://www.exrx.net/
- Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (open access) http://www.jissn.com/
- Center for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/
- United Stated Department of Agriculture http://www.usda.gov/
- Food and Nutrition Service (United States Department of Agriculture) http://www.fns.usda.gov/fns/
- Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion http://www.usda.gov/cnpp/
- Food and Drug Administration http://www.fda.gov/