How to be a Vegetarian
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
Guatemala Medical Mission and Research
Clinical Assistant Professor Jessica Bodzio and graduate student Emma Shank recently traveled to San Lucas Toliman, Guatemala on November 8, 2016 to continue their research and mission work with the Health Promoters of San Lucas Toliman. They set up the Health Promoters’ (HP) electronic tablets with the REDCap mobile application that included a Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ) that was piloted and custom designed by Jessica Bodzio and Emma Shank for this population. During their time there, they conducted day-long, group, hands-on training sessions with several of the HPs to orient them to the REDCap app, the FFQ, and the food models used to demonstrate typical portion sizes. Their following days there, they observed several of the HPs train other HPs in a train-the-trainer fashion. They also witnessed the HPs administer the FFQ to mothers who have malnourished children in the Child Health and Nutrition Program coordinated through Stanford University.
The data garnered through the customized FFQ will allow them to determine the dietary habits of these mothers. This, in turn, will allow them to identify areas of nutritional deficit in the mothers, particularly those that have the potential to affect the quality of life of their offspring (e.g. iron, B12 and folate). They hope to use these findings to garner additional funding to initiate the development of sustainable programs that empower Guatemalan mothers by continuing to utilize the train-the-trainer model with the HPs.
The Nutrition and Dietetics Department had a strong presence at FNCE 2016. Multiple members of the department presented their research at the poster sessions. Alumni Despina Bubaris, RDN, presented her undergraduate research: Relationship Between Nutrition Education and Dietetics Students' Disordered Eating Attitudes and Behaviors. Professor Diane DellaValle, PhD, RDN, LDN presented her research: What is the relationship between dietary intake, vitamin D status and systolic blood pressure in a cohort of children with metabolic syndrome? Lastly, alumni Lauren Razawich, MS, RDN, LDN presented her graduate research: Assessment of Dietary Intake of Individuals with Celiac Disease on a Gluten-Free Diet.
Marywood University Student Spotlight
Nutrition and Dietetics major Cassandra Stockwell was featured on Marywood University's website in response to her excellence as a student and an athlete. To read the article, click on the link: http://www.marywood.edu/blogs/blogs.html?id=49a63c97-9606-4829-8767-8632209e3f55.
Order of Mother Germaine O'Neil Honors Society
Dessy Bubaris was inducted into the Order of Mother Germaine O'Neil Honors Society. She will be graduating with a Citation in Honors.
Community Health Fair
Students from the Social and Cultural Aspects of Food course presented at a Community Health Fair held at Marywood University. They prepared a lentil recipe and talked about MyPlate, portion size, and the importance of measuring ingredients such as salt and oil when cooking for both children and adults.
Undergraduate Research Forum
Senior Nutrition and Dietetics student, Despina Bubaris, presented her research titled "Relationship Between Nutrition Education and Dietetics Students' Disordered Eating Attitude Eating and Behaviors" at the Undergraduate Research Forum at Marywood University.
Graduate Research Symposium
Graduate students from the MS in Nutrition and the MS in Sports Nutrition and Exercise Science programs presented their research at the Graduate Research Symposium held at Marywood University. Emma Shank presented her research titled "Determining Dietary Habits and Nutritional Deficits of Guatemalan Mothers of the Child Health and Nutrition Program of San Lucas, Toliman, Guatemala: Pilot Study", Lindsay Howard presented her research titled "Influence of Hydration Status on Cognitive Function and Skill Performance in Division III Collegiate Female Basketball Players", and Stacie Smith presented her research titled "Barriers to Participation in a Weight Management Program for College Freshman".
Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society
Congratulations to the 2015-2016 Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society inductees. Kappa Omicron Nu acknowledges undergraduate and graduate students who have shown outstanding dedication to their Nutrition and Dietetics course work.
Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting and Exhibition
Graduate student Stacie Smith presented her research titled "Barriers to Participation in a Weight Management Program for College Freshman" at the 2016 Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting and Exhibition.
Guatemala Medical Mission Trip
On March 6, 2016, along with an interprofessional team of students, Emma Shank (graduate student in the Nutrition & Dietetics Department) and Mrs. Jessica Bodzio (Clinical Assistant Professor in the Nutrition & Dietetics Department and faculty adviser) traveled to San Lucas Toliman, Guatemala for a medical mission. During the week, Emma trained a team of community Health Promoters to administer a customized Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ) with Guatemalan mothers for the first stage of their research. After the training, Emma and Jessica visited with Guatemalan mothers to test the questionnaire. The purpose of this phase of the research was to assess and improve the questionnaire's effectiveness. The Health Promoters did an excellent job and provided much helpful feedback. Emma and Jessica are looking forward to furthering their research and continuing their work in the upcoming months.
MetLife's Nutrition and Wellness Fair
For National Nutrition Month, Marywood Nutrition and Dietetic DPD students presented at MetLife's Nutrition and Wellness Fair. The students provided samples, games, and information on five major food groups. The fair also consisted of Marywood Nursing students, who took blood pressure for the employees, Terra Preta, WOW, MetLife's Community Health Promotion Intern, and MetLife's corporate RDN.
DPD/Spanish Emphasis Study Abroad in Costa Rica
Senior Spanish DPD student, Austin Fernandez, is currently in Costa Rica sharing his wealth of knowledge in nutrition with local residents. Austin conducted a nutrition education program at a senior center and focused on portion control of common Costa Rican vegetables, fruits, and grains. He has also been taking cooking lessons and has learned to make piacadillo de papas, zanahorias, and hand made tortillas.
PA Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics March 2016 Newsletter
Graduate Nutrition and Dietetics student, Stacie Smith, was featured in the PA Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Newsletter as the March Student Spotlight. The article can be found at: http://eatrightpa.org/marbe.cfm.
Nutrition Focused Physical Exam Workshop
On September 19th, senior CP and DPD students, DI interns, and PA students in their didactic year participated in an interprofessional Nutrition Focused Physical Exam workshop. The workshop was facilitated by PA program faculty member Mr. David Isgan, MHS, PA-C with three Nutrition and Dietetics faculty members in attendance. Students and interns attended an interactive lecture in the morning and gained hands on practice in the afternoon.
New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
Current DPD student, Rebecca Huber, was recently publish in an article produced by Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station. The article provides great advice for students who want to avoid unwanted weight gain in college. Her article can be found at: https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/fs1243/.
2016 DPD Program Students
Senior DPD students volunteered at Tobyhanna Army Depot for the Sept.16th Prevention Fair. The theme of the table and nutrition education provided was "Healthy Eating on the Go" which included informational handouts as well as recipe cards for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Salad shakers and samples of healthy snacks were given to Tobyhanna employees to enjoy.
For past Health Promotion and Wellness Activities, please click here.
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org/
- American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org/
- American Heart Association http://www.americanheart.org/
- American Medical Association http://www.ama-assn.org/
- American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/
- National Institute on Aging http://www.nia.nih.gov/
- National Institutes of Health http://www.nih.gov/
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/index.htm
- National Osteoporosis Foundation http://www.nof.org/
- National Health and Nutrition Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm
- Head Start http://www.nhsa.org/
- Head Start Nutrition https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/tta-system/health/nutrition
- Keystone Kids Go http://www.panen.org/keystone-kids-go/go-colorful
- Child Nutrition and Health https://fnic.nal.usda.gov/lifecycle-nutrition/child-nutrition
- Women, Infants and Children http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/
- Child and Adult Care Food Program http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/
- Healthy People 2020 http://www.health.gov/healthypeople
- http://Thomas.loc.gov/ This site provides Bill Summary and Status, Bill text, and Public law by numbers. It is Legislative Information on the Internet that is a service of the Library of Congress.
Nutrition Education and Educational Resources
- Society for Nutrition Education http://www.sne.org/
- USDA Nutrient Database http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
- SuperTracker https://www.supertracker.usda.gov
- Fruits and Veggies Matter http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org
- Food and Nutrition Information Center http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/index.html
- Mifflin St. Jeor BMR Estimation Calculator http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
- Linus Pauling Institute: Micronutrient and Phytochemical Information Center http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/
- RD 411 http://rd411.com/
- Bell Institute of Health and Nutrition http://www.bellinstitute.com/
- My Plate (My Pyramid replacement) http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition http://www.nutrition.org
- Journal of Clinical Nutrition (Requires access to Elsevier) http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/623017/description#description
- Institute of Food Technologists http://www.ift.org/
- Institute of Food Science and Technology http://www.ifst.org
Sports Nutrition & Exercise Science
- American College of Sports Medicine http://www.acsm.org
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists http://www.scandpg.org/
- National Strength and Conditioning Association http://www.nsca.com/
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute http://www.gssiweb.com/
- International Society of Sports Nutrition http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/
- ExRx: Exercise and Muscle Directory http://www.exrx.net/
- Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (open access) http://www.jissn.com/
- Center for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/
- United Stated Department of Agriculture http://www.usda.gov/
- Food and Nutrition Service (United States Department of Agriculture) http://www.fns.usda.gov/fns/
- Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion http://www.usda.gov/cnpp/
- Food and Drug Administration http://www.fda.gov/