Campus Map/Tour Request Information Employment A-Z Index Directories
EDU Site
A Bold Heart Centennial Campaign

PhD Program in Human Development: FAQ

How many courses must I take during a semester?

During the first year of the program, students must complete the interdisciplinary core courses together with their cohort. Later, students can complete the research and specialization courses at their convenience. Keep in mind that continuous registration is required and students must register for at least 6 credits each semester.



Does Marywood offer graduate assistantships?

One full-time assistantship (18 credits of tuition, plus stipend) is available to students enrolled in the PhD program, which may be granted to one student or shared by two. Applications are available through the Office of Enrollment Management. The process is competitive.

Is the GRE required for admission?

Yes, the GRE is required and is part of the student's application. Only a GRE score taken within 5 years of the application deadline set by the Graduate Admissions Office will be accepted.

Are scholarships available?

Yes, there is a scholarship fund dedicated to Ph.D. students. Each year, at least 70% of Ph.D. students who apply for a scholarship receive an award. Applications are available through the Office of Enrollment Management.

When are courses offered?

Courses are typically offered on weekday evenings during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.

Is there a comprehensive exam?

Yes, you must complete a written and oral exam to qualify for Ph.D. candidacy. The written component of the exam asks for an interdisciplinary response to a question of your choice. The resulting written work, approximately 20 pages, is reviewed blindly by three faculty members. If your paper is deemed satisfactory, you must then orally present it to the review committee.

How much time do I have to complete the program?

All course work must be completed within 7 years.

Stop-Out Policy: (updated 6/19/13)

Matriculating students in the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program who decide not to enroll in courses at Marywood during a term (fall, spring, and/or summer) and want to maintain an active and continuous status with the program, will be required to pay a placeholder fee of $250 per term. This fee will be applied in certain circumstances such as, but not limited to: (1) failure to register for courses after an unsatisfactory attempt in the qualifying experience and (2) not registering continuously for credits during the dissertation phase. To initiate the placeholder the student must consult with the Ph.D. Program Director and register for the stop-out (D/HD 1000 – Qualifying Experience or D/HD1001 – Dissertation). For each subsequent term the student will be registered automatically for the stop-out fee up to a maximum of two years after which time, the student will be administratively withdrawn from the program.  Students who fail to fulfill the fiscal obligation associated with the continuous enrollment policy will move immediately to administrative withdrawal from the program.

For more information, contact the Ph.D. Program Director's Office at (570) 348-6279.