Policy & Procedures Manual
Administrators with Rank and Tenure
Marywood is willing to recognize or award rank to administrators according to the policy outlined below. This may include Executive and Administrative officers of the University, Senior Administrators, or Senior Management in the Academic Affairs area.
- If a Marywood faculty member moves to an administrative position as defined above, he/she will retain the academic rank attained at Marywood.
- If an administrator is appointed who is new to Marywood and he/she has ever held rank in another college or university that is regionally accredited, appropriate rank may be awarded at Marywood provided the criteria for elevation to the rank at Marywood have been met in a discipline associated with the profile of the University.
- If a newly appointed administrator has never held academic rank, s/he may be appointed with the appropriate rank at Marywood. The administrator must demonstrate qualifications comparable to those held by faculty elevated to that rank at Marywood.
- Application for advancement in rank is made through the established University procedures.
- A Marywood University administrator is credited for advancement in rank with the time spent in administration.
Marywood is willing to recognize or award tenure to administrators according to the policy outlined below. This policy is limited to the President of the University, the Provost, the Deans of the Colleges, and the Director of Library Services.
If a tenured Marywood faculty member moves to an administrative position defined above, he/she will retain the tenure earned at Marywood.
If an administrator is appointed to one of the positions defined above on or after July 1, 2003, and s/he has earned tenure as a faculty member and held tenure within five years in another college or university that is regionally accredited, tenure may be awarded at Marywood provided the criteria for tenure at Marywood have been met in a discipline associated with the profile of the University.
An applicant must request consideration for tenure; it may not be assumed. The President of the University, or the Provost on behalf of the President, will consult with the Rank and Tenure Committee about the candidate's ability to meet the tenure requirements of Marywood University.
Tenure is granted by the President of the University.
- If an administrator with tenure is discharged from the administrative position for cause, then that administrator will lose the opportunity to become a member of the faculty.
- An administrator with tenure whose contract is not renewed has the option of moving to the faculty. The administrator should receive sufficient notice that his/her contract will not be renewed.
- The movement of an administrator with tenure to the full-time faculty must not affect negatively other tenured faculty, non-tenured faculty who hold tenure track appointments or clinical faculty who have been at Marywood for at least three years. Thus, it may be necessary for the University to create a new position or within reason to retrain the administrator for another University opening.
- Upon entering the full-time faculty, all former administrators are expected to meet the same standards and fulfill the same responsibilities as any other tenured faculty member and are in all respects to be treated as any other full-time tenured faculty member.
- Upon entry to the full-time faculty, all academic administrators shall receive a base faculty salary of 75% of the twelve- month administrative salary.
- Academic administrators who have been hired from within the full-time faculty will not, upon re-entering the full-time faculty, receive a salary which is less than their last base faculty salary plus all increments and equity adjustments for their rank as applied from the date of their entry into administration to the date of their re-entry into the full-time faculty.
- Faculty Definition
- Faculty Status
- Promotion of Faculty Members
- Qualifications for Appointment to Rank
07/01/89 - Reaffirmed with publication of Faculty Manual
01/15/05 - Revision approved by the Board of Trustees
01/19/08 - Amended to reflect that decisions on rank and tenure are made by the President of the University
06/10/09 - Revision approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Executive Committee of the Policy Committee of the University
02/19/16 –Revised by adding clinical faculty approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University