- What We Do
- About Marywood's Website
- Content Editor Resources
- Need Help Getting Started?
- Definitions / FAQ
- Webpage Guidelines
- Website Showcase
- Website Policies
- Humans of Marywood
What is Structured Content?
Some web pages in your site may be created by “pulling content” from customized content structures. These are used when the content on a page follows a particular pattern. For example, staff profiles might contain names, titles, phone numbers, e-mail addresses and other department specific information. This information is entered and maintained by category using a back-end form. Specialized programming code is used to pull the information from the content structure and format it on a web page.
Updating Structured Content
Content using code is usually labeled with a message that will tell you how to edit the content.
- Click the red "Add a New Entry" button to add a new staff member to the page.
- You’ll notice the main contentlet is missing the pencil from the "Edit" button. This means that we ‘locked’ that container so you don’t accidently edit the code that makes the content structure work. Instead, read the message and use the "Edit" buttons with the pencils to the RIGHT of each staff entry.
- Fill in the fields and make any changes to the entry. The “Sort Name” field is very common in our structures. This is used to alphabetize the entries.
For example, Mark Pitely would typically have a name of “Mark Pitely” but a Sort Name of “pitely” to organize him on the page alphabetically. However, if Mark is a Director or Program Coordinator you may want him at the top of the list, so you can put a sort name of “aa” or “01” in that field to bump him to the top of the staff list alphabetically.
- When you are done hit the "Save and Publish" button.
- To remove the staff member from the page just hit the "Save" button. This will UNPUBLISH that person’s listing, not delete them. You can always put them back later.
To Publish an Entry Previous Removed from the Page, or to Mass Publish/Unpublish Entries from a Structure
- Click the content tab: Most of the website updating that our content editors do is within the "website" tab. Structured content is found under the "content" tab. Click this tab, and you will find all your databased information. The warning message you just saw on your page will explicitly name the content structure that you are looking for.
- Select your structure from the Type menu: Click the little arrow next to "Type" to find the structure name. Once you click on it, all the data within that structure will appear. So, for example, if you are editing a faculty structure for your department, most likely you will see each individual faculty member's name listed to the right.
Edit Existing Content
To edit an existing piece of content, simply click on the faculty members name, or content title. This will bring up a box with all of the fields available for editing. Simply update the information that needs updating, and then hit the Save/Publish button:
Remove an Entry
So, you have a faculty member that no longer works here and you'd like to remove their name from the list? Check the little box next to their name, and then hit the Unpublish Contents button:
This will mark that entry with a little yellow light next to it, indicating that this will no longer show up on your website, but isn't deleted from the system (in case you want to add it back later).
Troubleshooting tips for unpublishing content:
Check your live website to make sure that the content that you've unpublished is actually removed from your site. In some of our old structures this will not work. You should contact us to update the code on your page. In the meantime, you can check the little box next to their name again, and this time hit the Archive Content button:
This will definitely remove the entry from your website. Although you can't see the entry anymore (even when logged in), we assure you it is STILL there if you need it. Archiving content is also a good way to stay organized if you have a lot of structured content. This will get those old entries out of your way so you can focus on the entries you need to.
Add a New Entry
It's very easy to add a new entry to your structured content. Click the Add New Content button on the right of the screen, and fill out the fields of the form. If you aren't sure about what a form field means, you can always click on an existing entry to see what type of information should be there. Don't forget to hit the Save/Publish button when you are done creating your new entry. Check your website to make sure the update worked.
Troubleshooting form fields:
We commonly use a field called "Sort Name" to alphabetize faculty members. This allows us to order them by last name in most cases. If someone is a director and needs to be at the top of the list, we sometimes enter "aa" as the Sort Name so that alphabetically they move to the top of the page.
Not sure if you need to update old information or add a new entry? Have a lot of entries and need to find one quickly? You can use the search features to find any piece of content within your structure.
Type a word you are looking for into the appropriate field name and hit search. Any results will appear on the right side of the screen.
If you return no entries and need to go back, simply click the "Clear Search" button that's right next to the "Search" button. This will bring you back to the screen that shows all of the entries.
You can also click on any of the field titles on the right side of the screen to sort by that particular field. If you clicked on the Name field, all of the entries within your structure would be aphabetically sorted by name.