Marywood University will hold Advocacy and Social Justice Day on Wednesday, November 10, 2021, from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m., at various locations in the Nazareth Student Center and in the Center for Architectural Studies, to celebrate the advocacy and social justice work being done by the Marywood community and to empower people, including the community at large, to engage in advocacy and social justice work.
All events are free and open to the public, including an artwork display, an advocacy and social justice fair, simulations about pressing social justice issues, service and advocacy presentations, a legislative advocacy workshop, and a social justice panel. Certain events will take place in person and be broadcast using Zoom. The Zoom option requires pre-registration, which can be accessed on the event website. Everyone attending events in person on the Marywood campus is required to wear a mask. Co-organizers of Advocacy and Social Justice Day are Lea Dougherty, Dr. Erin Sadlack, and Sister John Michele Southwick, IHM.
Advocacy and Social Justice Day will culminate with a keynote address by Rabbi Daniel Swartz, Scranton, who will discuss his work in the fight against climate change. His talk is scheduled from 6-7 p.m. in the Upper Main Dining Room, Nazareth Student Center, with a Zoom option available.
Since 2006, Rabbi Swartz has been the spiritual leader of Temple Hesed in Scranton, where he is dedicated to the task of Tikkun Olam, repairing our world. Under his guidance, Temple Hesed’s already active social action committee has continued to expand their programs, including work on “greening” the congregation, one of Rabbi Swartz’s deepest passions.
Rabbi Swartz has also been working with the Vatican on an interfaith global declaration, calling people to fight against climate change. Pope Francis invited Rabbi Swartz to be one of just 50 people called to the Vatican to discuss the climate change crisis and to sign the declaration.
Refer to the location/events listing below or view the event announcement at marywood.edu/campmin/announcements.html. Contact Sister John Michele Southwick, IHM, at email@example.com or (570) 961-4723 for more information.
Advocacy and Social Justice Day
November 10, 2021
9 a.m.-7 p.m.
Events will be open to the Marywood community and the public. Certain events will take place in person and be broadcast using Zoom. We will use the same Zoom link throughout the day. To receive the link, please complete the Zoom Registration Form.
Please Note: Everyone attending events in person on the Marywood campus is required to wear a mask.
Center for Architectural Studies
- Artwork in Response to Social Justice: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Hawk Gallery/Pool Area
- Bingo Card Pickup: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Hawk Gallery
- Service in 3: 9-10 a.m. and 3-4 p.m., Cloud Room and Zoom
- Arts Fest: 10-11 a.m., Hawk Gallery/Pool Area
- Advocacy Fair & Service Forum: Noon-2 p.m., Basketball Court Area
Nazareth Student Center
- Poverty Simulation: 11-11:30 a.m. and 1-1:30 p.m., Upper Main Dining Room
- Climate Simulation: 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m.; 12-12:30 p.m.; and 1:30-2 p.m., Latour Room
- Diversity Simulation: 12:30-1 p.m. and 2-3 p.m., Upper Main Dining Room
- Walk A Mile Simulation: 10-11 a.m., 2-3 p.m., and 3-4 p.m., Latour Room
- Legislative Advocacy Workshop: 4-5 p.m., Fireplace Lounge
- Bingo Redemptions: 4:45-6 p.m., Fireplace Lounge
- Big Ideas about Social Justice Panel: 5-6 p.m., Upper Main Dining Room/Zoom
- Keynote Address—Rabbi Daniel Swartz: 6-7 p.m., Upper Main Dining Room/Zoom