Executive Director of Financial Aid
40 Hours per week, 52 weeks per year
8:00 am to 4:30 pm office hours
Employee is required to work weekend and/or evening hours to accommodate enrollment and student service events (e.g. open hours, orientation)
Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Services, the Executive Director of Financial Aid serves as a chief administrator, overseeing a comprehensive financial aid program consisting of institutional, federal, state and private funds exceeding $70 million annually. They will provide overall leadership, supervision, and management for the Office of Financial Aid to achieve University enrollment and net revenue goals through strategic student financial policy development, and utilization of all of the dollars committed in institutional, private, federal, and state financial aid programs. The Executive Director supervises the receipt, evaluation, and approval of requests for all programs, establishes procedures for and keeps records on transactions with students, ensures effective and efficient use of automated financial aid management systems, prepares or supervises the preparation of all required and ad hoc reports related to the operation of the office, and ensures that the University’s use of funds is in compliance with applicable institutional, state and federal regulations.
This position is an exceptional opportunity for a strategic institutional thinker with at least three years of experience managing a financial aid office in a higher education institution or similar setting. The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable about program rules and regulations and the role technology plays in enrollment management; a strong collegial advocate for financial aid policies and procedures; experienced in and able to anticipate the broader ramifications of changes to financial aid policies; able to interpret broad educational issues, policies, and regulations; team and customer-service oriented. The Executive Director will provide leadership and oversight of the Office of Financial Aid and its day-to-day operations. In addition, the Executive Director will focus on staff development, training staff in developing their knowledge of the office functions while helping the entire team maintain a broader understanding of how their roles relate to and support University-wide goals and initiatives.
Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution is required
Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution, preferably in Business Administration or Information Technology, is preferred
Work Experience Requirements
Three (3) or more years' experience managing a financial aid office in a higher education institution or similar setting is required in addition to a demonstrated knowledge of federal and state regulations as they pertain to the financial aid programs administered by the office
Experience utilizing a highly automated financial aid management system, preferably Ellucian Colleague, is required
Can demonstrate effectively with internal and external constituents, including public presentations and report distribution; maintain confidentiality and integrity
The Executive Director of Financial Aid will start with a mastery of financial aid regulations and a passion for broadening professional horizons while expanding into a knowledge of academic policy, and should be ready to provide leadership in many of the following essential functions at the outset:
- Plans, organizes, and directs the day-to-day operations of Financial Aid and Student Records, ensuring compliance with university policies as well as state and federal regulations. The Executive Director is capable of stepping in and performing all processes and activities performed by staff in the case of staff absence
- Develops and implements projects and programs to assist in the accomplishment of established goals. Participates in enrollment management objectives by recommending data-driven financial aid strategies within the framework of federal and state regulations, donor-funded student scholarships, and institutional funds
- Ensures that the University is in compliance with federal and state regulations as demonstrated through audits and program reviews. This will require the individual to remain current on all federal and state regulations that pertain to the programs administered by the office, implement and modify office procedures to comply with those regulations, and exercise control over fund expenditures and reconciliation of account balances
- Collaborates with various campus constituencies (e.g. Admissions, Marketing) to create internal and external communications to incoming and continuing students and families to address Financial Aid processes, deadlines, and to promote proactive financial literacy. Ensures that the Office of Financial Aid develops and delivers content (e.g. workshops, videos) to incoming and continuing students that leverages financial literacy as a way to support retention. Will speak publicly to groups on and off campus on topics related to Financial Aid and Financial Literacy
- Continually improves processes and procedures in order to increase effectiveness and eliminate manual or outdated methods in all aspects of Financial Aid work. Ensures Financial Aid processes reflect best practices and the effective use of technology. Coordinates with Information Technology to effectively utilize Ellucian Colleague and Slate by Technolutions (CRM)
- Provides leadership in maintaining quality staff through recruitment and development that creates a positive culture for employee growth and satisfaction and meets the needs of the University. Maintains a high-functioning customer service office and culture that serves students, parents and guardians, and University employees
- Serves as a member of the Enrollment Management leadership team and participates on other committees as requested
Marywood University is committed to being an equitable and inclusive workplace, and we encourage applicants who share our vision to apply. EEO/AA employer.
Apply for Executive Director of Financial Aid online