- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Five-Year Bachelor's to Master's Program
- Field Experience
- Teacher Certification
- Faculty & Staff
- Student Clubs & Organizations
- News & Events
- New Teacher Support
- Alumni - Where Are They Now?
Do you have a passion to teach all grade level specialties like music or grade 7-12 subjects? Do you have a passion to share your knowledge with students at the primary level to the secondary level? Marywood University can offer you the opportunity to fulfill this passion.
The M.A.T. program in Secondary/K-12 Education is designed for the candidate whose goals include initial certification in a secondary or K-12 subject and an M.A.T. degree. Candidates choose their:
This program consists of a minimum of 37 hours of graduate work. Candidates with no education courses may need to take up to 49 semester hours. Credit totals do not include any work needed in the content area. The courses include:
- nine credits hours of course work that give candidates an understanding of foundation of education, of human development and the psychology of the teaching/ learning process.
- nine credit hours that focus on general and specific teaching methodologies as well as the reading process.
- up to twelve credit hours (depending on new state guidelines) that focus on developing candidates’ understanding of working with learners with special needs.
- thirteen credit hours in student teaching and seminar
- six credit hours in core courses, providing the candidate the opportunity to integrate theory and practice in both research and learning theory.
These courses are certification requirements for those students seeking both the degree and Pennsylvania Instructional I certification. Eligibility for certification is determined by fulfillment of state requirements.
Candidates who have a desire to teach children with special needs may pursue dual certification with special education in addition to secondary/K-12 education, by adding a concentration in Special Education.
Prior to admission to the M.A.T. program with certification in Secondary/K-12 Education all applicants must meet with the Chair of Education Department or designated department faculty member and the Director of Professional Field Experience.
I. PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION AND CORE COURSES
28 semester hours
Field Experience (minimum of 100 clock hours of observation and participation)
|EDUC 500||First Semester Certification Seminar||0|
|EDUC 501*||Research Theory||3|
|EDUC 502||Multidisciplinary Foundations of Education||3|
|EDUC 523||Seminar: Psychology of Education||3|
|EDUC 554*||Learning Theories||3|
|PSYC 514||Human Development||3|
|EDUC 591||Student Teaching||3/3|
|EDUC 595B||Student Teaching Seminar||1|
*Courses required for M.A.T. Degree.
18-21 semester hours
|EDUC 411A||Effective Instruction Secondary/K-12||3|
|EDUC 411B||Content Area Methods||3|
|R ED 526||Teaching Content Area Reading||3|
|SPED 507||Characteristics of Mildly Impaired Learner||3|
|SPED 511||Curriculum for Special Needs Learners (taken w/Student teaching)||3|
|SPED 539||Behavior Management Approaches||3|
|EDUC 561||Methods, Materials and Assessment ESL||3|
NOTE: The Program requirements discussed in this section are subject to change based on guidelines established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.